Sunday, July 3, 2011

BlackSalt Fish Market And Restaurant

As far as restaurants in the greater DC area go, BlackSalt is hands down my favorite of all the restaurants I've been to. This Palisades neighborhood gem is just far enough from downtown Georgetown that it's easy to get to, easy to park at and full of locals looking for high quality, well prepared seafood. The food and service is always perfect, and the noise level is perfect for romantic diners and easy conversation. Don't think you can just walk in and get seated, make a reservation a week in advance and prepare for the best seafood ever.

As you enter BlackSalt, you first encounter the Fish Market. You're welcome to pick your own seafood and have them prepare it for you your way, or at the chef's discretion. I've never gone this route, always picking from the menu, but I know it's there, just in case there's a specific item I'm ever really in the mood for.

Beyond the Fish Market is the bar area. You might be lucky enough to get seated here last minute, but it's a crap shoot. Off hours you might be able to get a drink and an appetizer from the menu, possibly getting seated just across from the bar at one of the few tables there.

The dining area is small, minimally appointed and with a full view of the kitchen through a wall of glass. Dimly lit, I find it very suitable for a romantic special occasion, and I love the fact that the noise level is manageable for holding conversations. Most of these conversations will surely turn towards how amazing every bite of your meals are. This is a large part in what makes it my favorite restaurant and sets it apart from all the others, even the other few Black's Restaurant Group restaurants in the area.

The only bad thing I can say about this place is in the wine menu. There is a severe lack of affordable wines, all starting at around 40 dollars and go up well into the hundreds. I love wine, but I am not dining out for the wine, I'm out for the food and that's where I want to put all my money. I suggest getting a glass of wine each for 2 or a bottle for 4 and enjoying it slowly throughout the meal, so as to not break the bank. After all, you're really here for the food, so skip multiple glasses of wine if you can or beware for the sticker shock at the end of the night. If you do find a wine you love, they're all said to be available at the wine store just next door. Stop in after your meal for better prices and have a nightcap when you get home.

Seared Day Boat Scallops
Potato Bacon Gnocchi

This was a delicious starter my wife and I shared, though I felt it was not enough food for the money. They split the order in two, so what you're looking at is just half the order. The gnocchi was cooked perfect and the sauce a nice complement to the potato, bacon and scallop. However, I would recommend going with their signature mussels your first time to the restaurant!


Atlantic Bigeye Tuna
Blue Shell Mussels, Fennel,
Olives, Smoked Bacon Mariscada

My wife, a lover of all things Tuna, went with the Atlantic Bigeye Tuna despite the bacon sauce that is not usually her healthy cup of tea. The big chunk of bacon (pork belly) was kind of odd and really an inedible mass, but I forgive them since it seemed more for show. This dish was delicious, tuna cooked perfectly and tasty, though we would probably have preferred it prepared with different accompaniments and sauces.

Bouillabaisse
Monkfish, Sea Scallop, Oysters,
Blue Shell Mussels, Gulf Shrimp,
Saffron Broth, Rouille Crouton

This bouillabaisse was probably one of the best things I've ever eaten. I was blown away. The Monkfish was the superstar, despite my initial thought that it would not be for me. Everything was cooked perfect and the stew had such amazing flavor packed into it, I was in shock. Next visit I will find it very difficult to try something other then this... so I just might not steer away from it.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Cake
Caramelized Bananas, Peanut Brittle

The dessert was delicious, and probably pushed us over the top for food we needed to intake. It was dense, chocolatey and peanut buttery, with the bananas stealing the show and the brittle unnecessary.

Do yourself a big favor and spend your next special occasion at BlackSalt, you won't be disappointed!

BlackSalt Fish Market And Restaurant
4883 MacArthur Boulevard
Washington D.C., DC 20007
(202) 342-9101
 

No comments:

Post a Comment