Saturday, July 23, 2011

DC Restaurant Week!

DC Restaurant Week was announced last week and everywhere is booking up fast... I know I know, i dropped the ball. There are some decent deals to be found, but it seems to be getting harder each year. I wanted to fill you in on some resources I use when trying to figure out where to go, or if to even go at all.

Here's the deal:
Gourmet Prix-Fixe Menus (usually 3 items: appetizer, main course, dessert)
August 15-21, 2011
$20.11 Lunches & $35.11 Dinners

This Open Table page is a great way to see where you can book for the days and times you can go, and know exactly who still has openings:

I generally pick my time and day, usually the only Saturday available, and search around 7PM. Open Table will find anywhere with times within 2 hours of what you search on.
Then I sort on Stars, to begin with. 
I also look to see what's booking fast, and figure they are probably good places to start with, or I look for places I've been interested in going, or have heard good things about, if any are left.

When I find something I like, I read up on them, and check out what their menu will be like when possible.

DC Foodies offers a great comprehensive list of menu's for Restaurant Week:

I look to see if the places I'm interested in let you pick from the full menu, or have a set menu. After I read up on that, I can get a good idea if it's going to be worth my 35 bucks.

This time, I'm going to give Acadiana a try. I've never been there, and haven't had some good Cajun/Creole food in a long time. Seems like a good time to give them a shot.

DC Foodies shows that Acadiana has their Restaurant Week menu on their facebook site, so I went and checked it out:

DINNER - $35.11
Includes your choice of the Appetizers listed below.
You may choose any of the Entrees on the Dinner Menu.
(There is an additional charge of $9 for the Jumbo Lump 
Crabcakes and the Ribeye Steak.)Dessert options are listed below.
 Appetizer Selections
Classic Turtle Soup
Smoked Chicken & Andouille Sausage Gumbo
Roasted Corn & Crab Soup
Trio of Deviled Eggs
Mixed Green Salad
“B.L.T.” Salad
Boudin Balls

Dessert Selections
Warm Vanilla Bread Pudding with Bourbon Crème, Praline Crunch Ice Cream
Bourbon Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee with Apple Butter, Toasted Brioche
Chocolate Mint Cake with Tahitian Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

I like how they allow you to pick from their full menu for the main course, with just a few exceptions (extra for crabcakes and steak, which is standard during the week at most places), they offer some decent appetizer choices and dessert selections that I would be interested in trying.

Definitely see what you're getting into, some places make a specific menu and you don't get your money's worth. I've had some great restaurant week diners at Chef Geoff's, Vidalia, and The Palm.

It's not a great week to seek out romantic diners, with how busy it gets, but it's a great time to group up with your friends and try out some new places together!

I'll let you know how Acadiana goes after I try it out.

See you at the tables!

No comments:

Post a Comment