Saturday, June 18, 2011

Avalon - Merlot 2009

My wife and I are huge fans of Avalon's Cabernet Sauvignon, so much so it was the only red wine served at our wedding. We felt its big fruit, cherry and chocolate notes paired well with all our dishes, from glazed salmon with a slightly spicy Thai curry risotto to prime rib. When we saw they now had a Merlot, we figured it was worth a try.


The Merlot still packs the fruit, from raspberry to cherry, but offers a little less tannins over the Cabernet, which many will find appealing. It's a nice dark color and a smooth drink that's overall very nice. I would still take the Cabernet over the Merlot usually, but it offers a nice change. Should pair well with just about anything you eat.

I would give it a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment