Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bethesda Community Store Barbecue

The Bethesda Community Store (BCS) has been around a lot longer then I have, sitting in an ideal location across the street from NIH on Old Georgetown. I've often thought it was a perfect location for a BBQ joint.. in a town that's in much need of some good down home cooking. Now I've dreamed of having my own little BBQ trailer at this spot ever since I saw BCS for the first time. Someone has beat me too it.


BCS now has a little Wood Cabin smoker trailer parked on the lot for walk up BBQ, and you can smell the delicious smoke from a mile away.

Their menu consist of the normals, Brisket, Chicken, Pork, sides, etc.. and oddly enough Lobster Rolls. Just walk up and place your order...


 ...and then wait what seems like a ridiculous amount of time for something that probably finished cooking many hours earlier and is just kept warm.

I ordered the Pulled Pork platter with cole slaw and Mac & Cheese. The pulled pork was decent, but not great. I've had better, I've had worse. It had a lot of fat, was a little chewy, under smoked for my taste and lacked any seasoning. I like spices on my BBQ! The BBQ sauce was average. I got the hot, which it was not. The cole slaw seemed like your typical mayo based slaw sold in containers and so did the Mac & Cheese... terrible. Why did I wait nearly 20 minutes for this? There were maybe 4 people in front of me, and none of this stuff takes that kind of time to put in a container, it should all be ready to go in just a few minutes.


It was all kind of a big let down. I had high expectations and I do have really high standards when it comes to BBQ, and specific taste... so if any of you ever try this place out, I'd love to know your thoughts. In the mean time, I'll just make the further trip up to Urban BBQ in Rockville, MD when I'm craving some Q.. or make it myself.


Bethesda Community Store
8804 Old Georgetown Rd
Bethesda, MD 20814

No comments:

Post a Comment