Tuesday, May 10, 2011

...and a bottle!

I believe that there are many many truly exceptional wines in the 10-20 dollar range at the store. My favorite store in the area that sells wine and beer being Total Wine! Every few months my wife and I will make the pilgrimage to Alexandria, VA or McLean, VA and get a case of wine. Check their site for tastings, it's the best day to go and happens most weekends! 


I try to get a mix of mostly $10-12 and a couple $20ish bottles. There are some wines we know and love and we often will get a couple of those, but the rest we gamble on. Read the labels, read the tasting notes, ask the employees.. unlike other stores, the people there know what they're talking about!

Last Saturday I cooked up some tuna for my wife and scallops for myself. When we make a higher quality meal then your normal baked chicken (which we eat nearly every night of the week).. sometimes I like to break out a new bottle of wine that was priced near my max range on wine. This was one of those nights!

 2009 Zinfandel "Mischievous" by MACCHIA

This was a wine we tasted a few months ago at a tasting at Total Wine, but I forgot how much I liked it. I'm no expert, but I would describe it as really fruity, very jammy and smooth. I think you can pretty much get an idea for what that would taste like, but think blackberry, cherry, and raspberry jam in wine form.. and that's pretty much it. I loved it! This wine cost around $20.. and is perfect for a special occasion. Best with food items that can stand up to a hearty wine. Steaks, spicy foods, foods with strong flavor. Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment