Sunday, January 22, 2012

Beef Chili

Came up with this chili recipe myself, craving some real beef chili this cold winter.  Just started putting the things I love into it until it became perfect. It's very beefy, pretty healthy and taste amazing and really easy to put together. I think it's one of the best chili's I've had. Give it a try sometime and let me know your thoughts!

Ingredients:
1.75-2 lbs Ground Beef
1 large sweet onion (yellow), cut in smaller chunks to fit in food processor
2 Red Peppers, cut in smaller chunks to fit in food processor
2 Jalapenos, I left the seeds in for the heat, so I just cut off the top of the pepper. Seeds are up to you.
3 cloves Garlic
28 oz can diced tomatoes
4 Tbs Chili Powder
1 Tbs Smoked Paprika
1 Tbs Ancho Chili Powder
1 Tbs Chipotle Chili Powder
1/2 Tbs Salt
1/2 Tbs Cumin
6 oz beer (I used a New Belgium Ranger IPA), you get to drink the other half.
2 cans Black Beans

Put a couple Tbs. of olive oil in your chili pot, and warm on Medium heat.
Add in your ground beef, and break it up as it cooks.

While it's cooking, toss your Onion, Red Peppers, Jalapenos and Garlic into a food processor and pulse chop them until the pieces are very small, but before they get too mushy and watery. The ground beef becomes very small little pieces and I wanted these about the same size, so the flavors are there, but the whole chili gets a similar texture.

As soon as all the pink is gone from the ground beef, drain out all the fat if you're going for the healthy version and then add in the items from the food processor and the contents of the can of diced tomatoes, mixing with the beef and cooking for a few more minutes.

Add in all your spices and mix to spread them out evenly. Cook 2 more minutes to release the flavors of the spices and really mix them around.

Add in the beer and cans of black beans if you're down with beans.

Cook on low for a few hours. Eat then, or store and reheat the next day. It's always better the next day after the spices have really melded in the pot.

I got all my spices from Penzey's, so they're top notch.

Give this one a try and let me know your opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment