Monday, January 16, 2012

"Bannana Split"

 
Poached Banana Ice Cream with White Chocolate - Banana Crepes and Chocolate Sauce

In my strive to increase my culinary prowess, I decided to take on a recipe from famed chef Thomas Keller, winner of 3 Michelin stars. The recipe comes from his award winning Napa Valley restaurant, The French Laundry. The French Laundry has won numerous awards, is well known as one of the top 50 restaurants in the world and claimed by Anthony Bourdain as "the best restaurant in the world, period". I could only dream to visit here sometime in my life, but for now, I have the book and I will continue to take on what knowledge I can gain from it. If you want to try this recipe out, you'll need to get the book for yourself. It was a lot of fun, took many hours, but it was divine and all those lucky enough to partake, really really enjoyed it.

I thought I'd take you on a photographic journey of my endeavor. The recipie is too long and complex to post, so I'll leave you to get the book, which I highly recommend. These are the major components.

Poaching the bananas in the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla bean

Making the custard for the ice cream

Melting the white chocolate for the Banana and White Chocolate crepe filling

Making the crepes

Rolling up the crepes with the filling

These faux bananas become the base for the "Banana Split"

6 "Bananas" wrapped up and ready for the freezer

Working on the vanilla bean ice cream.

So yummy, super vanilla bean flavor with a light hint of banana from the poaching process

Getting ready to put the hot cream and sugar into the chocolate to make the chocolate sauce

The final product! Looks like a fancy little Banana Split!
Poached Banana Ice Cream with White Chocolate - Banana Crepes and Chocolate Sauce

I had a lot of fun working on this, and if you love to cook and really want to take it up a notch, I highly recommend this book! And if you're ever in Napa Valley.. be sure to book a table at The French Laundry well in advance.


No comments:

Post a Comment