Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Spy Valley - Pinot Noir 2010

I was heading towards the register at Total Wine a month ago and saw this on the shelf. The tag said Wine Spectator gave it a 92, and at $24 I had to try it out. From all the reviews posted on the tags at Total Wine, Wine Spectator is the one I trust the most. Anything 90+ in the sub-$25 category is worth trying, in my book.

Spy Valley, out of New Zealand, started their Pinot Noir bottling in 2003, and this 2010 shows years of perfection or at least one perfect year. Proof some really great things come out of New Zealand.. shout out to Jemaine and Bret!

My wife and I both loved this wine, and look forward to having it again in the future. It was fruity, but not over the top fruity. Cocoa-y, a little spicy, super soft tannins so it won't leave that dry taste in your mouth. Give this a try and you'll love it!

I highly recommend.. great for a special diner and will work well with whatever you eat.

critical acclaim:
"Digs deep into the spice box, with nutmeg, clove and allspice flavors that perfectly frame the ripe, supple wild black cherry and raspberry notes. Comes together on a supple frame, with plenty of staying power on the finish. Drink now through 2015. 13,000 cases made. "
92 Points
Wine Spectator

No comments:

Post a Comment