Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Acadiana - Louisiana style in DC

Restaurant week has come and gone and I'm just finally getting to this review on Acadiana. I just couldn't let these beautiful pictures go to waste or leave you hanging on how it was.

Walking in, the interior was pretty plain. A huge open room, with two levels. The upper level had two rows of seating raised up above the bar situated on the lower level. The lower area was larger and open, with seating along the window and in the middle of the room. At first they put us on the upper level, but we asked to move to a both along the window on the lower level. They were more then happy to oblige. The restaurant was appointed adequately, but uninteresting.. but who cares right, cause we're here for the food.

Or waiter was super nice, chatting openly and being friendly. Offered tips on the food and wine, which we took to heart.

They start you off with some fresh homemade biscuits, which people were all too quick to grab, as you can see. They were served with a sugarcane pepper jam over cream cheese, which was to die for. The combination was delicious.. we got a second basket!


I felt I could not claim to be a foodie if I didn't give frog legs a try. Deep fried and smothered in hot sauce, I figured if I would ever like them.. this would be the way. Boy, was I wrong. I found them to be very very chewy and not appetizing at all. I would skip these if I was you!


I started the restaurant week menu with the Roasted Corn & Crab Soup. It was hearty and delicious. Nice pieces of crab, that paired well with the corn and other ingredients, while letting the crab flavor come through.

 “grillades and grits”
sauteed veal medallions, creamy jalapeƱo cheese grits, wild mushroom pan gravy

I personally got the grillades and grits as I'm a sucker for a good mushroom sauce. The dish was excellent. The grits were cheesy and creamy, melting in my mouth and the medallions were cooked perfectly, tender and delicious. The mushroom sauce worked perfectly with the dish and should I return to Acadiana, this dish would be my top choice. I could skip all the apps though, as this is a really filling dish.

stuffed flounder special, crayfish and lemon butter sauce

My family went with a few other dishes, but since they were the night specials, I don't have the exact details. I probably should write those down if it's going to take me this long to post about them. Above is the stuffed flounder my wife had, and she was very happy with her meal.

cornmeal crusted catfish
fingerling potatoes, house made bacon, arugula, smoked tomato court bouillon

beef over a corn succotash with crispy onions

Another nightly special, which we can't recall exactly what it was... but we do remember it was delicious.

warm vanilla bread pudding
bourbon cream, praline crunch ice cream

I ended the evening with the vanilla bread pudding. It seemed strange that it looked like it came out of a cupcake mold, which took away from it's elegance in my opinion. It was very good, but not the best break pudding I've ever had. The praline crunch ice cream was delicious and transported me back to my childhood.
All in all, it was a delicious and successful evening. I would visit again, sure.. there was not a lot to complain about.. but with so many choices in this city.. it wasn't good enough to make me a regular.

In the mood for some classed up Louisiana style cooking.. give it a go sometime, they'll treat you right.

901 New York Avenue Northwest
Washington, DC 20001-4410
(202) 408-8848

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you guys really cleaned up. Definitely didn't let those photos go to waste. In fact, we like them so much, we would like to feature them in our new Foodie site:

    http://runinout.com/restaurant/acadiana

    Please let me know how you like it.

    Thanks,
    Chito

    ReplyDelete