Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Big House Red

I've been out of the blog game for a couple weeks..  and while I've been to a couple restaurants I need to write up on, lets put that on hold for a bit and get to the good stuff... Wine!

So, they say red wine is good for your heart, and why shouldn't I believe them? Who is them you say? And how is it good? Where is the research? I say, who cares... lets just go with it, and enjoy the extra pluses we can get out of that yummy delicious resveratrol ridden fermented grape juice!

So, I was on a mission.. armored with the desire to become more heart healthy and stock up on alcohol before the impending wrath of Hurricane Irene hit! I was not about to be stuck without plenty of wine, god forbid I wind up with a week without power and no wine to pass the time like when Isabel hit in '03.

Now, since the stipulation about heart healthiness is that I must drink the red wine in moderation... opening a bottle every night and letting it sit around, going bad and growing things I wish not dream of.. I did something I thought I would never do... I dove head first into the Boxed Wine industry.

But, as friends have said and things I've read have told me.. times they are a changing.. screw top bottles and boxed wine are not what it once was.. and there are great wines out there being delivered to us through those mediums!!!  I intend to find and bring you the very best!


Big House Red is where I've started.. and so far so good. I love being able to have a glass with diner, poured from an airtight bag in a box, preventing that pesky oxygen from getting my tannins in a bunch!

This ran me about $23.99 and would you believe it, there are 4 full bottle of wine in this box... that's roughly 6 bucks a bottle! Pulled out the calculator to not embarrass myself.

I can not complain about this "Fruit Bomb" of a wine.. made to taste by the wine makers using a variety of grapes to reach what we have here. Very fruity and soft, light light tannins. It's perfect for a random glass here and there during the week and should pair with just about anything you make, unless you have a Michelin star I don't know about?

Get out there and enjoy yourself! Forget the old stigmas..  and let me know if you find a real winner in the boxed wine section!

No comments:

Post a Comment