Saturday, October 22, 2011

Persimmon


I had set really high expectations for Persimmon before going there. It's been on my short list of places to eat in the Bethesda area, where plates push towards the $30 dollar range. I guess I have high expectations anywhere the entrees are almost $30.

Walking in, my expectations started to fall flat, taking in the decor, that looks like its needed a total revamp for twenty years. I think it might be the color on the walls, and the dated seat upholstery, the ceiling and the bar area, but it does not live up to standards I would have set for a place that's so highly rated. That's fine though.. I'm here for the food, but in the all too true saying that we eat with our eyes, I believe  the atmosphere sets the tone even before our plates arrive.

The same goes for the waitstaff. I know we went on a Sunday, and it was just after the Sunday diner special time where you can get 3 courses for the price of an entree ($30)... so I don't know if the B team is working or what, but I felt like the staff, while extremely courteous and mildly helpfuly, seemed unkempt. Between the decor I mentioned earlier and the staff's unkempt uniforms, I was feeling borderline dirty for a place that's suppose to be higher end. Why mildly helpful? I hate when a patron ask which item is better of two and the waitstaff doesn't have an answer beyond they're both good. It's best to describe the dishes better and attempt to get some sort of idea which might be better for the person you're serving it too. That's how to make bigger tips in my book... but I digress.

So, on to the food..  The food was decent. All four of us were satisfied, but some more then others. I had high expectations, and they were not met I'm afraid. Maybe someday I'll give them another shot.. but with so many choices in this area.. it might be a long time till I do.


Atlantic Bouillabaisse with Saffron and Red Pepper Aioli

I went for the bouillabaisse. Having had this at BlackSalt (my favorite restaurant) which left me flushed, I had to compare. It was good, but no where near the level at BlackSalt. I found some of the seafood a little overcooked, and the broth was decent, but I thought it could be a lot more complex with flavors when it seemed very one note.. and that note was oyster sauce. It didn't speak to me.


Pan Seared Organic Scottish Salmon with Artichokes, Exotic Mushrooms and Basil Risotto

My wife went for the Salmon. I think the side of risotto is what steered her there above the other options. The salmon was good well and she enjoyed it. The risotto was OK, but not perfectly executed and not full of flavor. We make risotto at home a lot, and this didn't live up to it. I believe it should exceed our abilities in this type of restaurant, as we are not trained chefs.


Molten Chocolate Cake & Coffee Ice Cream

We finished with the Molten Chocolate Cake and Ice Cream. There is something very unappetising to me about seeing the molding lines on my food... reminds me of plopping something out of a can, like cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving.. gross! Taste wise, it was good along with the ice cream and sauces on the plate.

Overall, everything was pretty good, but no where near the bar I set for them. It was not the romantic little bistro I was hoping for.. maybe they can make some small changes to get there and I could make this my neighborhood place.. but for now, I'll be having my romantic diners elsewhere.

Persimmon Restaurant

7003 Wisconsin Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815-6106
(301) 654-9860

No comments:

Post a Comment